Last updated: 17 May 2018
Like all your assets in Euroclear, we aim to treat your personal information with respect and responsibility. This privacy and cookie notice describes the standards we apply to your personal data. It discloses the information practices for the Euroclear websites (euroclear.com and my.euroclear.com) and other marketing channels, including what type of information is gathered and tracked, how the information is used, and with whom the information is shared.
Euroclear SA/NV processes your personal data on behalf of the relevant Euroclear companies (which contact details are listed here).
‘Personal data’ is all information from which an individual is identified or identifiable, whether directly or indirectly.
Personal data is not limited to an individual’s private details, but also concerns his or her professional details.
Personal data may be a name, location data, online identifier, etc.
Along with information you provide to us directly when you register or subscribe to our services offered through our websites, we may collect the following personal data about you, when you visit our websites.
- Connection Data
- your IP address
- information about your devices such as information contained in HTTP headers or other internet transfer protocol signals, browser or device type and version, operating system, user-agent strings and information about or from the presence or use of "apps" on your mobile devices, screen resolution, and your preferred language.
- Behavioural Data
- Behavioural data about your usage of the channels, such as webpages clicked, and content areas visited, login creation, submission of registration and forms, date and time of activities.
- The web search you used to locate and navigate to the channels and the search terms entered on our own site search.
Some of this information is collected using cookies and similar tracking technology. More information about the collection of personal data by means of cookies can be found below.
You can opt out of cookies that are not required to enable core site functionality.
In addition, we use embedded pixels in e-mails and our online display advertising to provide information on when the e-mail or ad was opened to track marketing campaign responsiveness. Information collected using these technologies may be associated with the recipient's e-mail address.
From time to time, we receive personal data about you from third party sources.
- We receive personal data from our partners or conference organisers you have authorised to transfer your personal data to us. These parties are responsible for managing their use of personal data.
- We receive personal data from third party permission-based lists. On occasion, we use third-party lists to send communications about Euroclear products and services and expert views and opinions on the topics relevant in our industry. These lists, which are maintained by third parties, include users eligible under EU regulation 2016/679 (GDPR) and local applicable laws to receive e-mails from other companies such as Euroclear. When we use such lists, the communications will include mechanisms to opt out of receiving our marketing communications.
We collect the information we mentioned in the previous paragraphs through the use of various technologies, including "cookies".
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
They are essential for the functioning of the site and are automatically active. They include for example, cookies that enable you to log into the secure areas of our website.
They also make it possible to establish anonymous statistics on the use of the site which help us improve customer service. You cannot disable these cookies.
These cookies allow the website to remember the choices that users make (e.g. user name, language or the region the user is currently in) to provide enhanced and personalised features.
They also collect information about how visitors use our website, e.g. which pages visitors go to most often, the time spent on these pages, any problems they would face. These cookies thus keep record of certain of your preferences and allows us to enhance the performance of our website.
First-party cookies are set by the web server of the visited page (i.e. Euroclear). They share the same domain.
A complete list of all cookies used on our site (euroclear.com and MyEuroclear) can be found here.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit http://www.aboutcookies.org/ which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers. You will also find details on this site on how to erase cookies from your computer or mobile device as well as more general information about cookies.
We will normally process personal data from you only where:
- we need the personal data to carry out a contract with you;
- we have obtained your consent to the processing of your personal data; or
- the processing is in our legitimate interests (and not outweighed by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms).
We will retain your personal data:
- for as long as you keep your profile on my.euroclear.com; or
- until you request us to remove your personal data from our marketing database (e.g. to honour opt-outs); or
- as long as necessary to perform our contractual engagements with you
Personal data collected for conference advertisement or for conference registration is retained for the duration of the relevant event or longer if the event repeats (e.g. annually).
In addition, we may retain personal data from closed accounts to comply with national laws, prevent fraud, collect any amounts owed, resolve disputes, assist with governmental investigation or take any actions permitted or required by applicable national laws.
- We transfer your personal data within the Euroclear group for purposes consistent with this Privacy Notice. We take measures to restrict access to staff who have a legitimate business need to see your data.
- Euroclear may also provide your personal data to public bodies such as regulatory, government agency, court or other third parties such as but not limited to, the Police Authorities, the Financial Supervisory Authorities and the Tax Agencies, where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your interests or those of any other person.
- We also disclose your personal data to our third party vendors, service providers and partners who provide data processing services to us. This may be in connection with the services they provide to us, including to support us in areas such as IT platform management or support services, infrastructure and application services, marketing, data analytics. These service providers may change over time, but our commitment to using trusted vendors will not. We will always work with third parties who will handle your personal data in a way that aligns with this Notice and the GDPR. We have further inserted adequate contractual clauses with these third parties to ensure that your personal data remains protected. Further information can be provided upon request.
- We also disclose your personal data with our auditors, advisors, legal representatives and similar agents in connection with the advisory services they provide to us for legitimate business purposes and under contractual prohibition of using the personal data for any other purpose.
Our group companies and third party contractors and consultants operate around the world. This means that we may process personal data outside the European Economic area (EEA). However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal data will remain protected in accordance with this notice. These include implementing data protection clauses and EU Standard Contractual Clauses with our third party vendors, contractors and consultants as well as with our group entities.
Euroclear is publishing this Privacy Notice to keep you informed as to what we do with your personal data. We strive to be transparent about how we use your personal data.
You have the right to access your personal data. All personal data collected for marketing subscription purposes or your registration on MyEuroclear can be accessed through your online account. For other types of information, please contact Euroclear’s Data Protection Officer if you wish to access the personal data Euroclear holds about you.
If any other data Euroclear holds about you is inaccurate, not complete or up to date, you have the right to ask us to rectify or update it. If such personal data has been disclosed to a third party in accordance with this Privacy Notice, then we shall also ask them to rectify or update your personal data. Please contact our Data Protection Officer if you need us to rectify or update your information.
This is sometimes called ‘the right to be forgotten’. If you want to request Euroclear to erase all your personal data and we do not have a legal ground to continue to process and hold it, please contact our Data Protection Officer.
In certain circumstances, you have the right to ask Euroclear to restrict how we process your personal data. This means we are permitted to store the data but not further process it. If you want us to restrict processing of your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer.
In certain circumstances, Euroclear allows you to obtain the personal data we hold about you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to transmit those personal data to another controller without any hindrance. Please contact our Data Protection Officer if you want information on how to transfer your personal data elsewhere.This right only applies to personal data that you have provided to us as the data controller. The personal data must be processed by us on the basis of your consent or for the performance of a contract and processing of your personal data must be carried out by automated means.
In certain circumstances, you have the right to object to Euroclear processing your personal data. If you wish to object please contact our Data Protection Officer.
If you have given us your consent to process your personal data but would change your mind later, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, and Euroclear will then stop processing your personal data. You can withdraw your consent through your online account. If you have any further question, please contact our Data Protection Officer.
You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the marketing e-mails we send you or by using your profile on MyEuroclear.com to opt-out of our communities, newsletters and general interest areas. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), please contact our Data Protection Officer.
You have the right to complain to your local data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal data if you feel that Euroclear has not sufficiently addressed any concern of complaint. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. You can find contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) here.
We protect your personal data and maintain its quality. We implement appropriate measures and processes that are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal data to help us to keep your personal data secure and to maintain its quality.
In order to keep your personal data secure, we have implemented a number of security measures, including:
- Secure operating environments - We store your data in secure operating environments and only accessible to Euroclear employees, agents and contractors on a need-to-know basis. Euroclear also follows generally accepted industry standards in this respect.
- Encryption - We use industry-standard encryption to provide protection for information that is transmitted to us via the Websites.
- Prior authentication for account access - We require our website users registered on my.euroclear.com to verify their identity (e.g. login ID and password) before they can access or make changes to their account. This is aimed to prevent unauthorised accesses.
The Euroclear website contains links to other websites. Euroclear is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those other websites.
If you do not want to give us your personal data and the personal data is necessary in order to:
- enter a contract
- supply services
- provide you with further information on our services
- assess your job application
then we will not be able to enter into that contract or provide the requested services or information or consider you for a job.
We may update this privacy and cookie notice from time to time in response to a changing legal, technical or business environment. When we update our privacy and notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material privacy notice changes if and where this is required by law.
You can see when this privacy and cookie notice was last updated by checking the last updated date displayed at the top of this privacy notice.